Definition of grunter in English:
A fish that makes a grunting noise, especially when caught, in particular.
- ● A mainly marine fish of warm waters (family Theraponidae: several genera). ● another term for grunt (sense 4) of the noun)
- In the sometimes-translucent streams beneath us, we can see bream, catfish and grunters as well as pig-nosed turtles, thought, until recently, only to exist in Papua New Guinea.
- And then there were the dead fish, mostly grunter, leervis and silvies, I believe, caused apparently by a sudden drop in salinity as the whirlpools mixed fresh water with salty.
- The result was a 3kg grunter for their fry and a fish eagle having to look further afield for its meal.
Definition of grunter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia