Definition of guan in English:
A large, pheasantlike, tree-dwelling bird of tropical American rain forests.
- Family Cracidae (the guan family): several genera, especially Penelope. The guan family also includes curassows and chachalacas
- One of the habituated birds I remember best was a piping guan - a chicken-sized bird normally found only in the highest treetops - that chose to nest only two yards from a building under construction.
- Those who prefer altitude can climb the lodge's seven-story, 115-foot canopy tower and stop at each level to observe tanagers, jacamars, guans, and oropendulas in action.
- Furthermore, fruits in the forest canopy support a disproportionately high amount of bird biomass, because in general frugivores tend to be very large (e.g. guans, toucans, parrots, pigeons).
Late 17th century: via American Spanish from Miskito kwamu.
Words that rhyme with guanAbadan, Abidjan, adhan, Amman, Antoine, Arne, Aswan, Avon, Azerbaijan, Baltistan, Baluchistan, Bantustan, barn, Bhutan, Dagestan, darn, dewan, Farne, Hahn, Hanuman, Hindustan, Huascarán, Iban, Iran, Isfahan, Juan, Kazakhstan, khan, Koran, Kurdistan, Kurgan, Kyrgyzstan, macédoine, Mahon, maidan, Marne, Michoacán, Oman, Pakistan, pan, Pathan, Qumran, Rajasthan, Shan, Siân, Sichuan, skarn, soutane, Sudan, Tai'an, t'ai chi ch'uan, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Taklimakan, tarn, Tatarstan, Tehran, Tenochtitlán, Turkestan, Turkmenistan, tzigane, Uzbekistan, Vientiane, yarn, Yinchuan, yuan, Yucatán
Definition of guan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.