noun (plural guanacos)
- A wild Andean mammal similar to the domestic llama, which is probably derived from it. It has a valuable pale brown pelt.
More example sentences
- Lama guanicoe, family Camelidae
- Aside from bovines, which are involved in 90 percent of these events, horses, pigs, sheep, guanacos and wild boars have also been mutilated.
- Both the llama and the alpaca are domesticated forms long believed to be descended from the guanaco, a wild camelid.
- The other group migrated into South America, where it survives today as wild guanacos and vicunas and domesticated llamas and alpacas.
early 17th century: via Spanish from Quechua huanacu.
More definitions of guanacoDefinition of guanaco in:
- The British & World English dictionary