Definition of guardsman in English:
noun (plural guardsmen)
1(In the US) a member of the National Guard.
- It is present in the camouflaged armed national guardsmen who greet members of Congress each day we enter the Capitol campus.
- The national guard plays a critical role in homeland security, but tens of thousands of national guardsmen are now deployed overseas, supporting the global war on terror.
- At Duneen Mill in Greenville, South Carolina, for example, 425 national guardsmen were deployed to break up pickets.
1.1(In the UK) a soldier of a regiment of Guards.
- The West Yorkshire Regiment guardsmen were well prepared for the weather.
- The palace was floodlit, a full-size Royal Standard, usually reserved for state occasions, was flying and guardsmen in bearskins were on sentry duty.
- Branchflower, 20, a guardsman with the Irish Guards, was deployed
Words that rhyme with guardsmanguardsmen
Definition of guardsman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.