- A person with temporary permission to work in another country, especially in Germany.More example sentences
- Four decades ago a guest worker, or Gastarbeiter in German, meant a Turk or a Yugoslav who came to labour-short Germany in search of the sort of job locals did not usually want to do.
- Another neglected mode of migration is the guest worker.
- The challenge for the labour movement will be to respond to guest workers in a manner which focuses on the real issue - the creation of a second class of worker that is neither good for the guest worker nor for the host.
1960s: translation of the German Gastarbeiter.
More definitions of guest workerDefinition of guest worker in:
- The British & World English dictionary