- A stringed musical instrument with a fretted fingerboard, typically incurved sides, and six or twelve strings, played by plucking or strumming with the fingers or a plectrum. See also electric guitar.More example sentences
- Acoustic guitars are strummed hard and fast on some songs, and are played with melodic flair on others.
- Maybe I too could be a rancher in Montana, plucking a guitar on my porch as the sun goes down.
- The music is a sophisticated meshing of guitars, busily efficient rhythms and electronica.
- More example sentences
- It has the same effect as a bad guitarist using the same guitar tone over and over again.
- As he played, he pressed a knife on the strings of the guitar in a manner popularised by Hawaiian guitarists who used steel bars.
- I'm sure both guitarists could give me a master's grade thesis on the layers of harmonic interplay.
early 17th century: from Spanish guitarra (partly via French), from Greek kithara, denoting an instrument similar to the lyre.
More definitions of guitarDefinition of guitar in:
- The British & World English dictionary