Definition of gumbo in English:
noun (plural gumbos)
1.1(In Cajun cooking) a spicy chicken or seafood soup thickened typically with okra or rice.
- This Aberdonian favourite specialises in seafood recipes from around the world - gumbos, chowders, fishcakes, the works - using every imaginable fresh Scottish seafood, including halibut, sole, wolf fish, turbot, lobster and crab.
- Madame tried both the chicken and fish gumbos and remarked on the totally different tastes that the Cajun cuisine could produce in them.
- The common basis of all gumbos is the roux, a roughly equal combination of flour and fat cooked until very nearly burnt; it is the dark smoky roux that gives the gumbo its colour and flavour.
3North American A fine, clayey soil that becomes sticky and impervious when wet.
- A high pressure front carries dark clouds, and we risk becoming mired in gumbo if the weather doesn't hold up.
- For a place so famous for its roads, Chaco is connected to the modern world tenuously at best: The only access is over washboard dirt roads that can turn to gumbo after a storm.
- We slogged around looking for suicidal prairie dogs and learned that hills and gumbo can overcome the best four-wheel drive trucks.
4A type of Cajun music consisting of a lively blend of styles and sounds: New Orleans syncopated gumbo
More example sentences
- All it is is a gumbo of different musical styles that I like and mixed up and thrown together.
- Using the musical traditions of Quebec as their starting point, they bolt on jazz, Cajun and even Latin influences to create an infectious gumbo of sounds and rhythms.
- With the tracks largely bereft of melody or theme, Villalobos dives ever more deeply into percussive gumbo and leaves accessible hooks behind.
Early 19th century: from the Angolan word kingombo 'okra'.
Words that rhyme with gumboColombo, dumbo, jumbo, mumbo-jumbo, umbo
Definition of gumbo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.