Definition of gumma in English:
noun (plural gummas or gummataˈɡəmətə)Medicine
A small, soft swelling that is characteristic of the late stages of syphilis and occurs in the connective tissue of the liver, brain, testes, and heart.
- Many patients advance to tertiary syphilis with cardiac, neurologic, and cutaneous gummas, which are painless nodules, asymmetrically distributed in groups on the face and trunk.
- If you have late syphilis, you may develop gummas (say: gum-mahs).
- Example sentences
- Tertiary or late syphilis is classified into gummatous syphilis, cardiovascular syphilis, and neurosyphilis.
- Even without a confirmatory rapid plasma reagin test or darkfield examination of the gummatous discharge, the diagnosis of secondary syphilis was obvious.
Definition of gumma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.