Definition of gunmetal in English:
1A gray, corrosion-resistant form of bronze containing zinc, formerly used for making cannon.
- Chill cast leaded gunmetals are widely used for miscellaneous small bushes of low stressing but they are, of course, considerably less wear resistant than gunmetal and phosphor bronzes.
- It became fashionable to own objects in base metal, so Faberge started to use gunmetal, copper and brass.
- Loose copper bullet casings and gunmetal gleamed coldly in the light sparkling like pieces of ice, cold and deadly.
1.1 (also gunmetal gray) A dark blue-brown gray color: [as modifier]: the river glinted brass under a gunmetal sky
More example sentences
- However, you can achieve a nice effect more simply by simply painting the pieces with a dark paint - our furniture came in a sort of gunmetal gray, but dark green or black would also work.
- The early day was cool, the sky a soft gunmetal gray.
- Morning sun and cold temperatures had quickly been replaced with gunmetal gray skies and the promise of an even colder afternoon.
Definition of gunmetal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan