Definition of gunner in English:
1A member of the armed forces who operates or specializes in guns, in particular.
- Either the gunner or the commander operates the turret control system.
- The gunner can operate either from within the vehicle or from a remote position up to 80 meters away.
- At the age of 16 he was called up for war service as an anti-aircraft gunner and was taken prisoner.
1.1A member of an aircraft crew who operates a gun, especially (formerly) in a gun turret on a bomber.
- There are several roles players can take on such as a fighter pilot, turret gunner, bomber, ship captain and base defender to name a few.
- This method had its dangers since the P38 was subjecting itself to antiaircraft fire from defenders as well as gunners aboard the Japanese bombers.
- Allied fighters could not touch it, and it presented bomber gunners with a near impossible leading aim calculation.
1.2 historical A naval warrant officer in charge of a ship’s guns, gun crews, and ordnance stores.
- He stayed aboard with his first mate and a naval gunner.
- But the ship's gunners were experienced and past their initial confusion and surprise.
- A Royal Navy gunner remembers action on board HMS Ramillies on WW2 People's War.
2A person who hunts game with a gun.
- And, for the avid rooster hunting gunner, there's really only one breed to consider.
- The ‘hot tank’ is the prize of the brush country - especially for the gunner unlimbering a light gauge for the bounty of close incomers.
Words that rhyme with gunnerCorunna, front-runner, oner, punner, runner, scunner, stunner
Definition of gunner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.