Definition of gunner in English:
1A member of the armed forces who operates or specializes in guns, in particular.
- Either the gunner or the commander operates the turret control system.
- The gunner can operate either from within the vehicle or from a remote position up to 80 meters away.
- At the age of 16 he was called up for war service as an anti-aircraft gunner and was taken prisoner.
1.1A member of an aircraft crew who operates a gun, especially (formerly) in a gun turret on a bomber.
- There are several roles players can take on such as a fighter pilot, turret gunner, bomber, ship captain and base defender to name a few.
- This method had its dangers since the P38 was subjecting itself to antiaircraft fire from defenders as well as gunners aboard the Japanese bombers.
- Allied fighters could not touch it, and it presented bomber gunners with a near impossible leading aim calculation.
1.2 historical A naval warrant officer in charge of a ship’s guns, gun crews, and ordnance stores.
- He stayed aboard with his first mate and a naval gunner.
- But the ship's gunners were experienced and past their initial confusion and surprise.
- A Royal Navy gunner remembers action on board HMS Ramillies on WW2 People's War.
Definition of gunner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan