- A South American plant that has extremely large leaves resembling rhubarb and that is grown as a waterside ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Gunnera, family Gunneraceae: several species, in particular G. manicata and G. tinctoria
- The banks are high with wild orchid, gunnera and water lily.
- The big leaves of a squash plant are just as striking as the similar leaves of gunnera, a perennial much prized by lovers of bold style.
- In spring, the stars of the Secret Garden are camellias, magnolias and the lushest of bog gardens crammed with skunk lilies and gunnera.
modern Latin, named after Johann E. Gunnerus (1718–73), Norwegian botanist.
More definitions of gunneraDefinition of gunnera in:
- The British & World English dictionary