- 1An explosive consisting of a powdered mixture of saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal. The earliest known propellant explosive, gunpowder has now largely been superseded by high explosives, although it is still used for quarry blasting and in fuses and fireworks.More example sentences
- Gunpowder is a mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur, and early gunpowder was just that: a powder.
- Prior to its first military uses, gunpowder was termed black powder.
- There was wax, matches, a long fuse, gunpowder and 20 bullets packed around a quarter stick of dynamite.
More definitions of gunpowderDefinition of gunpowder in:
- The British & World English dictionary