Definition of gymnastics in English:
plural noun[also treated as singular]
1Exercises developing or displaying physical agility and coordination. The modern sport of gymnastics typically involves exercises on uneven bars, balance beam, floor, and vaulting horse (for women), and horizontal and parallel bars, rings, floor, and pommel horse (for men).
- Does that mean, I was tempted to ask, your main interest in gymnastics is floor exercises?
- Two sports halls would be built to host badminton, gymnastics and table tennis.
- In the modern Olympics, diving and gymnastics are the two sports in which Chinese athletes are very successful.
1.1 [with adjective] Other physical or mental agility of a specified kind: these vocal gymnastics make the music unforgettable
More example sentences
- I need to find a way of breaking myself into this mental gymnastics.
- They often come up with incredibly ingenious ideas and are always happy to engage in mental gymnastics.
- It's not supposed to make sense without some personal mental gymnastics.
Definition of gymnastics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.