A member of an ancient Indian sect that wore very little clothing and was given to asceticism and contemplation.
- There he is said to have encountered the ‘gymnosophists’ and ‘magi’ who were thought to have influenced his later philosophical views.
- Following these initial contacts, tales of the holy men of India, known to the Greeks as ‘gymnosophists’, began to circulate in the Hellenic world.
- He accompanied Alexander the Great on his conquest of northern India, where he encountered Indian gymnosophists or naked wise men.
- Example sentences
- It also be about that you constraint have the amply endowed gymnosophy in whisper to aid your power projecting the outlet practice upon that it will go through.
- But gymnosophy, as the early practitioners called it, has always enjoyed the tolerance of liberals, including in the early days from such luminaries as George Bernard Shaw and Vera Brittain (mother of Shirley Williams).
- Gymnosophy was originally the doctrines of a sect of philosophers who practiced nudity and asceticism and meditation.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gymnosophist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.