Definition of gynophobia in English:
Extreme or irrational fear of women or of the female.
- Misogyny and gynophobia abounded in this context as women were, for the largely male artists who worked in this style between the wars, generally victims, annoyances, or threats to virility.
- But while the narrative urges union with the female other, his treatment of the images in these poems lays bare the volume's disturbing gynophobia.
- At the beginning of the new century, across the English-speaking West, there is almost an entire media system dedicated to the modern male's gynophobia.
- Example sentences
- Marriage itself, however, doesn't guarantee a healthy society; if the society is clan-based, rigidly patriarchal, polygamous and gynophobic to boot, well, we know what hell on earth for women that creates.
- I think it's safe to say that female genital mutilation is one of many oppressive practices that are widespread in certain pathologically gynophobic cultures.
- Doesn't anyone notice how profoundly gynophobic this series of films has been?
Definition of gynophobia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan