A tussock moth having a brown male and larger white female. The caterpillar can be a serious pest of orchards and woodland.
- Lymantria dispar, family Lymantriidae
More example sentences
- Over the past 100 years, more than 20 biocontrol fly species have been released in Massachusetts for a variety of pests, including the browntail moth, the gypsy moth, and the Japanese beetle.
- Other pests include gypsy moth caterpillars, gall midge, and scale.
- The caterpillars of the gypsy moth are destructive defoliators that feed primarily on oak trees causing growth loss, crown dieback, and tree mortality.
Definition of gypsy moth in:
- The British & World English dictionary