- The largest falcon, found in arctic regions and occurring in several color forms, one of which is mainly white.
More example sentences
- Falco rusticolus, family Falconidae
- They've both become superb birders, too, able to distinguish in a wing beat, for example, a gyrfalcon from a peregrine falcon during a brief aerial tussle.
- Adam and his team of falconers use predatory birds like gyrfalcons, eagles, and peregrine falcons to clear the air.
- Its cliffs and valleys are habitat for peregrine falcons and endangered gyrfalcon, while its tidal flats and river mouths attract huge numbers of migrating birds and waterfowl.
Middle English: from Old French gerfaucon, of Germanic origin. The first element is probably related to Old High German gēr 'spear'; the spelling gyr- arose from a mistaken idea that the bird's name came from Latin gyrare 'revolve'.
More definitions of gyrfalconDefinition of gyrfalcon in:
- The British & World English dictionary