(also haciendado /ˌäsyen-/)
noun (plural hacendados)
- The owner of a hacienda.More example sentences
- The cause, it seems, rested with the local hacendados or estate owners who had changed the natural course of the river with dams ‘causing damage in times of floods.’
- Those in control of their haciendas, called hacendados, treated people on their lands by a system known in the Sierra as the huasipungo (described by western scholars as ‘landed slavery’).
- Yucatecan hacendados were quick to exploit this by financing and co-opting anarchosyndicalist unions, local leaders, and electoral candidates who opposed the agrarian reform.
More definitions of hacendadoDefinition of hacendado in:
- The British & World English dictionary