(also hadrosaurus /ˌhadrəˈsôrəs/)
Definition of hadrosaur in English:
A large, herbivorous, mainly bipedal dinosaur of the middle to late Cretaceous period, with jaws flattened like the bill of a duck. Also called duck-billed dinosaur.
- Family Hadrosauridae, infraorder Ornithopoda, order Ornithischia
- There is a parallel here with the hadrosaur and ceratopsian dinosaurs of the Late Cretaceous.
- The ornithopods included the hadrosaurs or duck-billed dinosaurs, in which the front of the mouth was enlarged to form a broad flat beak and a variety of bony crests were developed on top of the head.
- The Ornithopoda included the hadrosaurs, the iguanodontids, the heterodontosaurs, the hypsilophodontids, and various other dinosaurs.
- Example sentences
- This particular accumulation of ceratopsian and hadrosaurian bones is thought to represent a mass mortality event: possibly a herd was concentrated around a drying watering hole during a severe drought in the area.
- The hadrosaurian down-flex in the spinal column has been smoothed out.
- However, comparison of the specimens with dinosaur skin shows that a similar integumentary morphology has previously been documented in hadrosaurian dinosaurs.
Definition of hadrosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan