Definition of haecceity in English:
1That property or quality of a thing by virtue of which it is unique or describable as “this (one).”.
- For historical reasons, such a property is called a haecceity -- literally, a ‘thisness.’
- Understanding concepts in his philosophy (eg., faciality, virtuality, haecceity, types of becoming, and rhizome) is important as they provide to entry points into some of the issues under examination.
- Although it might seem to be a highly fanciful notion, it is hardly more fanciful than some haecceity theories which employ the same distinction, nor perhaps than some possible worlds theories either.
1.1The property of being a unique and individual thing.
- It is the entire assemblage in its individuated aggregate that is a haecceity; it is this assemblage that is defined by a longitude and a latitude, by speeds and affects, independently of forms and subjects, which belong to another plane.
- There's the haecceity, the isness, the standing reserve, that's one thing: the world.
- The haecceity of a thing is what makes this particular thing what it is in particular.
Definition of haecceity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India