Definition of hair-raising in English:
Extremely alarming, astonishing, or frightening: hair-raising adventures
More example sentences
- A family is setting off on what many would consider a hair-raising adventure by upping roots and moving to the other side of the globe.
- The howling of the sirens, which shriek to announce the beginning and end of each air raid alarm, merge into a single, hair-raising noise.
- Even within such parameters I have had plenty of adventures of my own abroad, some more hair-raising than others.
- Example sentences
- But it is true that there are fewer absolutely lousy frontbench speakers these days, just as much as there are fewer hair-raisers.
- This includes aquarium hair-raisers that are planned for small, large, and medium sized fish tanks.
- By the end of this film I was so thoroughly engrossed that when the final sequence - a hair-raiser to end all hair-raisers - arrived, I was reduced to a whimpering, shivering wreck.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia