1The style in which a person’s hair is cut.
- We've arrived at a day and age when it's the person who wears the haircut and style, rather than the other way around.
- He was white, around 5ft 9in, stocky and muscular, with a crew-cut style haircut and he looked scruffy.
- Less is more when it comes to style and color, and with the right haircut, your hair can become low on maintenance and high on style.
1.1An act of cutting a person’s hair.
- Yesterday as I drove to the beauty salon for my haircut.
- Until the 1970s only a few men went to a salon for a haircut and styling.
- There's also a salon for haircuts, pedicures, manicures and makeup lessons.
2 informal, chiefly US A reduction in the stated value of an asset: the banks would probably be willing to take a haircut on the rest
More example sentences
- Also, the effort shows that the government is serious about forcing creditors to take a haircut on their loans and bondholdings if need be.
- If the government absorbed half the losses, the banks would probably be willing to take a haircut on the rest.
- Tight haircuts for bootboy bankers and existing shareholders could be the order of the day.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of haircut in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.