Definition of hairline in English:
1The edge of a person’s hair, especially on the forehead.
- Receding hairlines and the arrival of the bald patch are feared by men around the globe.
- Defined fringes with asymmetry and sculptured hairlines at the nape and sides finish the looks, while tonal colour featured in the collection emphasizes form and texture, enhancing a brilliant shine.
- Another interesting medieval tradition: women at the time would pluck their hairlines in order to attain higher foreheads, which were considered more attractive at the time.
2A very thin or fine line: the boards fitted so tightly together, there was only a hairline between them [as modifier]: a hairline fracture
More example sentences
- It was confirmed last night that he had suffered one hairline fracture.
- The pessimist in me thinks that this is a hairline fracture.
- The rock is as smooth as a windowpane and split by a single hairline fracture.
Words that rhyme with hairlineairline
Definition of hairline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.