Definition of hairline in English:
1The edge of a person’s hair, especially on the forehead.
- Receding hairlines and the arrival of the bald patch are feared by men around the globe.
- Defined fringes with asymmetry and sculptured hairlines at the nape and sides finish the looks, while tonal colour featured in the collection emphasizes form and texture, enhancing a brilliant shine.
- Another interesting medieval tradition: women at the time would pluck their hairlines in order to attain higher foreheads, which were considered more attractive at the time.
2A very thin or fine line: the boards fitted so tightly together, there was only a hairline between them [as modifier]: a hairline fracture
More example sentences
- It was confirmed last night that he had suffered one hairline fracture.
- The pessimist in me thinks that this is a hairline fracture.
- The rock is as smooth as a windowpane and split by a single hairline fracture.
Words that rhyme with hairlineairline
Definition of hairline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan