Definition of hairstreak in English:
A butterfly with a narrow streak or row of dots on the underside of the hind wing and a small taillike projection on the hind wing.
- Many genera in the family Lycaenidae
- The leaves serve as host for the larvae of two butterflies, the white hairstreak and the brown duskywing.
- It is hoped that birds such as the lapwing, skylark and redshank will increasingly use the sites as well as butterflies such as the green hairstreak.
- Trees stabilize the ecosystem for butterflies like the great purple hairstreak.
Words that rhyme with hairstreakdoublespeak • tugrik
Definition of hairstreak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.