Definition of half-integer in English:
A number obtained by dividing an odd integer by two ( 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, etc.).
- Some for example, had half-integer spins, while others had only integral spins.
- Fermions are the particles that exhibit half-integer spin and satisfy the Pauli exclusion principle, while bosons exhibit integer spin and are not limited by the exclusion principle.
- Although fermions have half-integer spin, the two together have integer spin, making the Cooper pair a ‘composite boson’.
- Example sentences
- Those with half-integral spins were called fermions, while those with integral spins were classified as bosons.
- Bosons have integral spin and fermions have half-integral spin, where spin is an internal quantum number.
- Fermions have half-integral spins, and by the Pauli Exclusion Principle, no two identical particles can have exactly the same set of parameters, like energy, position, spin orientation etc., which describe a single quantum state.
Definition of half-integer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.