Definition of halfback in English:
1An offensive back usually positioned behind the quarterback and to the side of the fullback.
- At Notre Dame, Hornung played quarterback, halfback and fullback.
- The Downtown Athletic Club officially lists the Ohio State Buckeye as a quarterback / halfback.
- Before Toombs showed up looking like a guard, there was debate about whether he was best suited to play halfback or fullback at the next level.
1.1A usually defensive player in a ball game such as soccer or field hockey whose position is between the line or the forward.
- Hockey should follow suit with special coaches for goalkeepers, defenders, halfbacks and forwards.
- This has been a continuation of an age-old argument in New Zealand rugby history when two halfbacks of similar class have been available.
- From a rugby league point of view, if you talk mentors the biggest impact on me was Ricky Stuart, he was awesome and reinvented the way a halfback plays rugby league.
Words that rhyme with halfbackfatback • hardback
Definition of halfback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan