- [usually as modifier] A reproduction of a photograph or other image in which the various tones of gray or color are produced by variously sized dots of ink: halftone illustrationsMore example sentences
- Not until 1900, however, did half-tone photographic images become a regular feature of newspapers and magazines.
- The monochrome half-tone process, introduced in 1872, was refined by the end of the 19th cent. to allow full colour reproduction.
- Don followed the Audubon Bird Guide series with about 100 half-tone illustrations for a popular book, Our Amazing Birds.
More definitions of halftoneDefinition of halftone in:
- The British & World English dictionary