- A large Arabian and northeastern African baboon, the male of which has a silvery-gray cape of hair and a naked red face and rump. It was held sacred in ancient Egypt. Also called sacred baboon.
More example sentences
- Papio hamadryas, family Cercopithecidae
- Our data set was comprised of eight species: a Platyrrhini, the white-fronted capuchin monkey, two cercopithecoids: the Barbary macaque and the hamadryas baboon, four hominoids and an outgroup sequence.
- The ancient Egyptians considered hamadryas baboons to be the sacred attendants of Thoth, the scribe to the gods.
1930s: modern Latin (see hamadryad).
More definitions of hamadryas baboonDefinition of hamadryas baboon in:
- The British & World English dictionary