(also hamate bone)
- A carpal bone situated on the lower outside edge of the hand. It has a hook-shaped projection on the palmar side to which muscles of the little finger are attached.More example sentences
- Calori found a small muscle passing from the hamate to the pisiform bone.
- The distal row of carpals includes the hamate, capitate, trapezium, and trapezoid, which are closely approximated to the metacarpals.
- It lies to the radial side of the pisiform bone and the ulnar side of the hook of the hamate (the bones forming a protective canal for the artery), which is covered by the palmer carpal ligament.
early 18th century: from Latin hamatus 'hooked', from hamus 'hook'.
More definitions of hamateDefinition of hamate in:
- The British & World English dictionary