Definition of hammerhead in English:
1 (also hammerhead shark) A shark of tropical and temperate oceans that has flattened bladelike extensions on either side of the head, with the eyes and nostrils placed at or near the ends.
- Family Sphyrnidae and genus Sphyrna: several species
- Climate change has pushed up water temperatures, resulting in regular sightings of the smooth hammerhead shark, which is not dangerous to humans.
- There are four species which concern us, and they are the hammerhead shark, the white shark, the bull whaler shark and the tiger shark.
- See her, in Medea, remember the hammerhead shark, play with a cigarette, remind her listeners that their tape is running out, and obsess about another, very different Billie (Holiday).
2A brown African marsh bird related to the storks, having a crest that looks like a backward projection of the head, and constructing an enormous nest. Also called hammerkop.
- Scopus umbretta, the only member of the family Scopidae
- Hammerheads are, overall, rather interesting and extraordinary birds.
- The Hottentot people of southern Africa believe that the hammerhead, a wading bird, can see reflections of the future in pools of water.
Words that rhyme with hammerheadloggerhead
Definition of hammerhead in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan