Definition of hammerhead in English:
1 (also hammerhead shark) A shark of tropical and temperate oceans that has flattened bladelike extensions on either side of the head, with the eyes and nostrils placed at or near the ends.
- Family Sphyrnidae and genus Sphyrna: several species
- Climate change has pushed up water temperatures, resulting in regular sightings of the smooth hammerhead shark, which is not dangerous to humans.
- There are four species which concern us, and they are the hammerhead shark, the white shark, the bull whaler shark and the tiger shark.
- See her, in Medea, remember the hammerhead shark, play with a cigarette, remind her listeners that their tape is running out, and obsess about another, very different Billie (Holiday).
2A brown African marsh bird related to the storks, having a crest that looks like a backward projection of the head, and constructing an enormous nest. Also called hammerkop.
- Scopus umbretta, the only member of the family Scopidae
- Hammerheads are, overall, rather interesting and extraordinary birds.
- The Hottentot people of southern Africa believe that the hammerhead, a wading bird, can see reflections of the future in pools of water.
Definition of hammerhead in:
- British & World English dictionary