- A bed made of canvas or of rope mesh and suspended by cords at the ends, used as garden furniture or on board a ship.More example sentences
- I love the rope hammocks but I think the mesh would be even nicer.
- Peering through windows offered a glimpse of how the real Mexicans live, and unearthed the interesting fact that here beds are a rarity, rope hammocks the norm.
- I try to take a break next door in one of Rusco garden furniture's comfy rope hammocks, but the saleslady sees I'm way too snug and turfs me out sharpish.
mid 16th century (in the Spanish form hamaca): via Spanish from Taino hamaka; the ending was altered in the 16th century by association with -ock.
More definitions of hammockDefinition of hammock in:
- The British & World English dictionary