A crank that is turned by hand.
- The hammer was soon replaced by a magneto powered with a hand crank.
- Private Confederate citizens built the Hunley, a primitive submarine powered by a hand crank.
- The ‘twittering’ in the title doubtless refers to the birds, while the ‘machine’ is suggested by the hand crank.
verb(hand-crank) [with object]
Operate (a device) by turning a crank by hand.
- While Goffe's ‘inferior’ knitter was sold in New York City, the most likely hand-cranked knitting machine was that of Jonas B. Aiken.
- For example, on reading Fara's chapter titled ‘Robert Boyle and the Air-pump,’ one might infer that Boyle invented the first hand-cranked vacuum pump.
- In 1846 the first hand-cranked ice cream machine was made by Nancy Johnston, the dessert became a favorite summer past time in American households.
Definition of hand crank in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.