Definition of handler in English:
1 [usually with modifier] A person who handles or deals with certain articles or commodities: a baggage handler a food handler
More example sentences
- They are post office employees, factory workers, baggage handlers, nurses, secretaries, lab technicians, and teachers.
- Flight attendants and baggage handlers keep an eye on each other, too.
- ‘Know more about Japanese sashimi,’ Hong Kong's food and hygiene authorities advised local consumers and food handlers Friday.
1.1A device that handles certain articles or substances.
- The PC receives a signal from the device handler indicating that a component is in place and that the test can begin.
- Static information called a moniker is embedded in the device, and a generic device handler software is installed on the computer.
- There was no driver for the telescope handler.
2A person who trains or has charge of an animal: the performance of dog and handler in the ring must be accurate and correct
More example sentences
- The police dog and its handler only found the plaid shirt that is one of the exhibits.
- The police dogs' handlers are full members of the Teamsters Union.
- A total of 12 dogs and their handlers represented police forces in the South West and Wales at the regional police dog trials held in Wiltshire at the weekend.
3A person who trains or manages another person, in particular.
- Out here in the real world, I have no entourage of coaches and handlers organizing my schedule, preparing my meals, and supervising my workouts.
- He thanked his handlers, the Reggaesoca organizers, the voters, journalists and the almighty.
- But this single-mindedness was honed by a team of white trainers and handlers.
3.1A person who trains and acts as second to a boxer.
- Things have gotten so bad, in fact, that Liston's handlers have secretly asked the sparring partners to take it easy on Sonny.
- According to Bebe's handlers, the boxer injured his hand while preparing for the fight and the injury was confirmed by a doctor on December 28.
- I don't know, but I think, as they watched Joe Louis being helped up by his handlers, several of them might have thought they were witnessing something more than a boxing match.
3.2A publicity agent.
- They don't hide behind a retinue of handlers and lawyers and public-relations fools.
- Part of the key to his inexplicable success must be his handlers’ deft leverage of the public's short attention span.
- But publicly at least, Parliament's senior media handlers are at pains to emphasise that they will show no favour.
3.3A person who advises on and directs the activities of a politician or other public figure.
- Now, I'm a double agent for the CIA, where my handler is a man named Michael Vaughn.
- When the first captured British-trained agent's confirmation was believed by his English handlers, the Germans concluded the others would also.
- She shrugged off the mental tags of the agent and their handlers and headed left down the dark carpeted hallway.
Definition of handler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.