1A female servant.
- And then, accompanied by many well-dressed servants and handmaidens, entered the most beautiful person Carson had ever seen.
- These two girls,’ Gesturing to the side, he indicated a pair of female servants that had appeared. ‘will be your handmaidens.’
- Anna and Nancy became close friends and Anna helped Nancy work up to the level of being recognized as Anna's handmaiden instead of a common servant.
1.1A subservient partner or element: shipping will continue to be the handmaiden of world trade
More example sentences
- Powerful trade unions are the handmaiden of stagnant economics.
- She is a hard liner who believes that trade policy should be the handmaiden of security concerns.
- When East Timor made its way to the front pages of the world, the capitals of other countries, the governments of other countries essentially were handmaidens, helping East Timor to independence.
Definition of handmaiden in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.