Definition of handshake in English:
1An act of shaking a person’s hand with one’s own, used as a greeting or to finalize an agreement.
- A firm handshake is the basic greeting, and people shake hands again when they part.
- Men and women limit their greetings to a handshake; kissing in public is considered scandalous.
- There were handshakes and greetings on every side and the lucky ones got teddy bears and red roses, to say nothing of rings and pendants.
1.1A person’s particular way of doing this: her handshake was warm and firm
More example sentences
- The handshake is warm, the smile is broad, he's back among old friends - and, of course, he still manages to get the names mixed up.
- Their warm handshake may not sound like much to you but in terms of the development of Ono as a truly international organisation I believe it was a significant moment.
- Every introduction is greeted with a warm handshake, a smile and a seemingly genuine ‘Pleased to meet you’.
1.2 Computing An exchange of standardized signals between devices in a computer network regulating the transfer of data.
- Storage virtualization has generally been associated with the handshake between computers and disk blocks.
- A connection between a browser and a Web server is divided into two phases, the handshake and the data transfer.
- It contains an unchecked buffer in the part of its code which deals with handshakes when connecting to SMTP server.
- Example sentences
- Although the handshaking is much different, at the frame level SCSI and SAS carry mostly the same information.
- One of the biggest differences between SATA and SAS is in the handshaking between the host and drive.
- When the handshaking was over, Ridge was whisked away without so much as a press conference or photo op beneath Tommy Trojan.
Definition of handshake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India