Definition of hang together in English:
1Make sense; be consistent: it helps the speech to hang together
More example sentences
- His interpretation and speculation hang together, make sense, and are consistent with the sources.
- That book might have been more fluffy than this one but at least it hung together and made some sense.
- They want information that hangs together, that makes sense, that has some degree of order to it.
2(Of people) remain associated; help or support each other.
- Travel and hospitality was a way of life among the Elizabethan Catholic nobility who hung together for mutual support.
- It is too much to expect individuals to thwart the intentions of a closely knit, overwhelmingly dominating force which knows it must either hang together or be hanged together.
- There are signs of the premiers now working together and hanging together, notwithstanding the traditional ‘divide and rule’ tactics of the Feds.
Definition of hang together in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia