- A piece of torn skin at the root of a fingernail.More example sentences
- Children who bite their fingernails or pick at hangnails are more likely to get warts.
- I saw that I had torn the hangnail right off my finger without even noticing.
- Tory found it was harder to keep calm if she was looking at Nell, and pretended to study a hangnail on her ring finger.
late 17th century: alteration of agnail 'painful swelling around a nail' (from Old English angnægl, denoting a corn on the toe), influenced by hang.
More definitions of hangnailDefinition of hangnail in:
- The British & World English dictionary