(also handsel) archaic or US
Definition of hansel in English:
1A gift given for good luck at the beginning of the year or to mark an acquisition or the start of an enterprise.
- This gathering of songs from the Angus-bred singer and fret player from Scots band Malinky is more an assertion of personal identity than a hansel to the glens, Mearns and tenacious coastal townships of his youth.
- They come on the New Year's Eve, give handsels to children and arrange the party.
- We donated handsels and small gifts to welfare children and promoted an end-of-the-year fund-raising campaign to support welfare organizations.
verb (hansels, hanseling, hanseled ; British hansels, hanselling, hanselled)[with object] Back to top
1Give a hansel to.
- 2006 was hanselled with the reappearance of two old friends: the Skye Bridge and the Scottish Parliament construction project.
- The younger men had "hanselled" their good bargain overwell, and were laughing and talking freely, as they walked up the white road from the haven.
- Incidentally, the practice of putting some coins in a purse or wallet you buy for someone is called hanselling.
1.1Inaugurate (something), especially by being the first to try it: a floodlit fixture to officially hansel the completed stadium
More example sentences
- His first chance comes on Tuesday when he hansels the new parliament with a speech outlining the Executive's legislative plans.
- There were 2632 days between the Accies last game in May 1994 at the old Douglas Park in Hamilton and yesterday's hanseling of the club's new Ballast Stadium with a match against a Sunderland XI.
- Iain is delighted to have the honour of hanseling the new facilities, and believes it will be an important resource for the island.
Words that rhyme with hanselcancel, Hänsel, Mansell
Definition of hansel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan