Definition of haplontic in English:
(Chiefly of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form is haploid, with a diploid zygote being formed only briefly. Compare with diplontic and diplohaplontic.
- Most are saprophytic similar to true fungi. v. Sexual life cycle is diplontic, fungi have haplontic cycle.
- The life-cycle is of haplontic type showing alternation of dominant haploid stage with short-lived diploid stage.
- This pattern is reverse of haplontic type.
- Example sentences
- Coexistence of sexual and asexual reproduction within the same individual is an intriguing problem, especially when it concerns homothallic haplonts, like the fungus Aspergillus nidulans.
- The haploid filamentous plants are known as haplonts which reproduce asexually by zoospores or aplanospores producing the individuals like parents.
- The individuals or cells as a result of mitosis are haplonts, hence this life cycle is also called haplontic life cycle.
Definition of haplontic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan