- A small molecule that, when combined with a larger carrier such as a protein, can elicit the production of antibodies that bind specifically to it (in the free or combined state).More example sentences
- It is likely that low-molecular-weight agents act as haptens, combining with human proteins in the respiratory tract to become complete immunogens.
- Supporting this is the discovery by Vojdani et al., who reported that some individuals develop allergic antibodies to haptens formed in response to MTBE binding to albumin.
- The bound microparticle complexes are then incubated with antidetection hapten alkaline phosphatase conjugate, which binds to the detection haptens.
early 20th century: from Greek haptein 'fasten'.
More definitions of haptenDefinition of hapten in:
- The British & World English dictionary