Definition of hardball in English:
1Baseball, especially as contrasted with softball.
- Eyewear is required in softball and hardball, singles and doubles.
- Still, the White Sox were a delight, baseball players playing country hardball.
- Last year they moved the tournament to the Shore Racquet Club a few miles south in Somers Point and played hardball on softball courts.
1.1 informal Uncompromising and ruthless methods or dealings, especially in politics: the leadership played hardball to win the vote
More example sentences
- But Angelos, one of the nation's leading labor attorneys, protracts most of his baseball negotiations, playing hardball with employees who can pursue better options.
- ‘They play hardball, we play softball,’ Gore campaign manager Donna Brazile added.
- Still, it wasn't hard to grasp the meeting's big theme, a bitter game of hardball between the haves and have-nots.
Definition of hardball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan