- 1Involving hard work and struggle: her uncle’s hardscrabble peanut farm it was a hardscrabble life in a one-bedroom housing projectMore example sentences
- I yearn for those days with the same desperate yearning I felt then: to balloon away in the wind, away from the hardscrabble farm, with only Dawn in the basket with me, and me, in her eyes, transformed, beautified.
- But it's a triumphant story for the foot soldiers, the women who had dead-end lives, working in factories or on hardscrabble farms.
- Prior to the development of the industry, Stony Creek had been a village of hardscrabble subsistence farms and a small, local fish and shellfish industry.
More definitions of hardscrabbleDefinition of hardscrabble in:
- The British & World English dictionary