- 1The wood from a broadleaved tree (such as oak, ash, or beech) as distinguished from that of conifers.More example sentences
- Wood benches made from hardwood such as teak, redwood, mahogany, or cedar can stay outside year-round.
- When selecting your decking planks, always check that the timbers are either hardwood or pressure treated softwood.
- The two basic categories of wood are hardwood and softwood.
- 1.1A tree producing hardwood.More example sentences
- Despite its superior strength, teak wood is not too heavy, making export of the hardwood popular.
- For example, balsa wood is one of the lightest, least dense woods there is, and it's considered a hardwood.
- Kenegy owns a small mill and, with the hardwood he selectively harvests, produces high-quality furniture stock.
- 2(In gardening) mature growth on shrubs and other plants from which cuttings may be taken.More example sentences
- When using the second method for rooting hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants you do everything exactly the same as you do with method number one, up to the point where you bury them for the winter.
- Winter may not seem like the best time for gardening, but it's actually an excellent time to propagate plants from hardwood or root cuttings.
- Jostaberries are easily propagated by hardwood stem cuttings.
More definitions of hardwoodDefinition of hardwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary