adjective (hardier, hardiest)
1Robust; capable of enduring difficult conditions.
- The traditional cattle are hardy breeds which can cope with the tough upland climate.
- The infrastructure to combat hardy weather conditions was carefully put into force here.
- The mountainous region around the small Corsican town of Bastilyica breeds a hardy, proud people.
1.1(Of a plant) able to survive outside during winter.
- The timing of growth cessation is an important adaptation to ensure that the tree is hardy for winter.
- This hardy shrub grows well in shade as well as sun and tolerates almost every soil type.
- Although the tubers themselves are winter hardy, a mulch layer is highly recommended.
- Example sentences
- The nuthatch survived unscathed and was witnessed yesterday and today feeding hardily.
- A few brave swimmers are wading hardily into the Pacific Ocean.
- Upon reaching him, Brad clapped him on the shoulder hardily.
Words that rhyme with hardycadi, cardy, Guardi, Hardie, lardy, Mahdi, mardy, Saadi, samadhi, tardy, Yardie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.