1A perennial plant that can survive outside unprotected over the winter.
- Columbines are a very hardy perennial and will thrive in all zones in the United States, as well as in temperate areas in other parts of the world.
- Even hardy perennials, trees, and shrubs cannot tolerate completely frozen roots.
- As soon as the snow melts (and sometimes even earlier) these hardy perennials spring into action.
2 informal A thing that recurs continually or at regular intervals: political humor will always be among the hardy perennials of late-night TV
More example sentences
- This topic has become a hardy perennial amongst the Boyz, and has generated much heated commentary.
- One thing that the Olympics have always provided is that hardy perennial known as the ‘feel-good story.’
- There is also that hardy perennial of Labour's own selection battles, and McLeish is going to have to handle some unpleasant skirmishes in the run-up to May 2003.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: har·dy per·en·ni·al
Definition of hardy perennial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.