A prostitute or promiscuous woman.
More example sentences
- When choosing red we are not choosing to be strumpets, harlots, hookers, liars, and witches, but rather to wear their totemic color, the shade of Mars as well as that of heartbreak, to see how we look.
- I asked her what she did for work; she told me she was a dancer; then in another moment, she explained she was a stripper, a harlot, a prostitute.
- She is often referred to as a whore and a harlot, for she is of lower class than both Desdemona and Emilia.
prostitute, whore, fille de joie, call girl, courtesan; promiscuous woman
dated streetwalker, hussy, lady of the evening, tart, pro, member of the oldest profession, scarlet woman, loose woman, fallen woman, cocotte, wanton
Middle English (denoting a vagabond or beggar, later a lecherous man or woman): from Old French harlot, herlot 'young man, knave, vagabond'.
- More example sentences
- Zhdanov's tirades had included his description of Anna Akhmatova as ‘a nun or a whore - or rather both a nun and a whore who combines harlotry with prayer.’
- Through chastity, as opposed to adultery and harlotry, both spiritual and physical, a person refuses to be made into an instrument and vessel of pleasure.
- The first part of the essay is a story which her mother tells her about her allegedly adulterous aunt, villainized and accused of harlotry.