- A dry, dusty easterly or northeasterly wind on the West African coast, occurring from December to February.More example sentences
- It is subject to constant dust-laden winds variously known as sirocco, khamsin, simoom and harmattan.
- The savanna lands (grassy plains) of the northern regions face harmattan (dust-laden) winds for four months each year.
- During the harmattan, a cool, dusty wind from the Sahara grays the skies.
late 17th century: from Twi haramata.
More definitions of harmattanDefinition of harmattan in:
- The British & World English dictionary