A large crested eagle of tropical rain forests, often preying on monkeys.
- Family Accipitridae: Harpia harpyja of South America, the largest eagle, and Harpyopsis novaeguineae of New Guinea
More example sentences
- The most powerful bird of prey on Earth, the harpy eagle, weighs up to 20 pounds (nine kilograms), has a seven-foot wing span, and is armed with talons as big as grizzly bear claws.
- Enjoy an evening with cinematographer Neil Rettig and his amazing film featuring the harpy eagle from the rain forests of South America.
- The parklands are home to some of the last remaining stretches of the species-abundant Atlantic rain forest and many creatures on the ‘threatened’ list like the giant otter, Brazilian jaguar and harpy eagle.
Definition of harpy eagle in:
- The British & World English dictionary