(also hart's tongue fern)
Definition of hart's tongue in English:
A common European fern whose long, narrow undivided fronds are said to resemble the tongues of deer.
- Phyllitis (or Asplenium) scolopendrium, family Aspleniaceae
- This result agrees with their suggestion that drought during the spring unfurling period would be most detrimental to hart's tongue ferns, arresting the development of new fronds.
- During years with many very wet months understory growth may be too dense, thereby suppressing the growth of hart's tongue ferns due to very low light levels beneath a dense herbaceous layer.
- American hart's tongue fern fronds unfurl early in the spring, achieving much of their yearly growth before canopy closure.
Definition of hart's tongue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan