Definition of harvester ant in English:
An ant that gathers and stores seeds and grain as a communal food source for the colony.
- Messor and other genera, family Formicidae
- Grassland harvester ants harvest very few seeds of the most abundant species at the beginning of a season, but switch during the season possibly due to increasing rarity of the preferred species.
- Some ants, known collectively as harvester ants, do consume seeds, but the seeds they eat are typically those of grasses or other plants that lack elaiosomes.
- The shuttle carried 15 large harvester ants found normally in the western United States so that the students could learn how space's extremely low gravity affects their tunneling behavior.
Definition of harvester ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan